I have not been this excited about what’s on deck in a very long time.
Not that we’ve been sitting on our hands. This past year we introduced our super streamlined online bookmaking tool, Bookify; significantly upgraded our other book making tools - BookSmart and PDF to Book workflow; launched new ways for you to share your books online (BookShow); plus offered a new Premium Paper (Lustre); and a new trim size for text-driven books (Trade 6×9). We also continued our international expansion with a French edition of our service and increased investments in Canada, Germany, and Australia. Whew.
Other good things happened too: We rolled out chat support to great acclaim; we opened the fantastically popular Pop-Up stores in London and New York; and we launched a comprehensive branding project to get laser focused on who we are, what we do, and for whom.
The results? In 2010 we added nearly a quarter of a million new (paying) customers, delivered just shy of 1.4 million books, and amazingly, processed two new book orders every second during our annual peak.
But wait, there’s more. Really.
This year is going to top all that. While revealing all would be no fun – here’s a sneak peek at some of the things coming your way:
- You’ve heard of Apple’s iPad, right? And a zillion other tablets that were just launched at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas? Let’s just say that you’ll be able to enjoy the same level of beautifully designed books you’ve created and appreciated in print with Blurb, on these devices very soon.
- Less is good unless you want to do something more. And that’s what we’ve heard from our creative professional customers – they need a “bespoke” book offering with choices for papers, end sheets, and cover materials, and…well you get the idea. Yes, it will cost more money. And yes, it won’t be for every project. But, for those projects that make the cut, it will be wonderful. Really wonderful.
- Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
- For those of you who would like to profit from your books – broader online distribution outlets might be nice. Yes?
- And finally, you’ll see more of us this year, hopefully in a neighborhood near you as we take some form of Blurb Academy on the road.
- Oh, and you may see us in a favorite magazine or even television show. Stay tuned.
- OK – really finally. Check out our ongoing musings and thoughts on the future of the book at http://next.blurb.com/
These are definitely exciting times for Blurb. Our plans for this year remind me of childhood visits to Disneyland. Back then ticket books had only one or two “E” class tickets for the fanciest and most popular rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. Ever since those trips my family refers to the best, the most spectacular, the most special anything as an “E” ticket ride.
So strap on your seat belts, people, for what we expect will be an “E” ticket 2011 ride.
Happy bookmaking and storytelling, all.
CEO, Founder and President