I live in a very tall, very old building. A former neighbor raised bees and made honey… in his apartment. One weekend his honey pots were left cooking while he stepped out. For the afternoon. They caught fire. I heard the smoke alarm. I called SFFD. They arrived within 5 minutes and I got to see a firefighter throw his weight into a spinning back kick that took down my neighbor’s door in one motion. The flames were contained. No real harm was done. The experience was still scary.
That’s as close as I ever want to get to an emergency. The book, BENT, TWISTED AND UP IN FLAMES !! FROM THE FILES OF ILLINOIS VALLEY FIRE DISTRICT confirms that. You don’t want to mess with fire.
In this Book of the Week, Dale and Elaine Sandberg take you on a virtual ride along and document the pictures and stories from the Illinois Valley Fire District. Towering structure fires are terrifying and you want to weep for the families who lost a home. A small pup gets rescued and you want to buy the firefighter a beer for a job well done.
Dale and Elaine, thanks for introducing us to your local heroes and reminding us to check the smoke alarm batteries.