Note: We’ve extended the deadline through March 25, 2014.
Ever dreamed of being a super hero? Blurb has teamed up with comic book artist Paul Rivoche to help make that dream come true for three lucky winners. Paul has illustrated comic book covers and storyboards for Iron Man, Justice League, and Superman, just to name a few (he’s made a pretty great Blurb book too). And you could be his next comic creation, with a custom illustration of you as a superhero.
All you need to do is follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Google+ and post your favorite super power and a photo of yourself with the hashtag #comicblurb by Tuesday, March 25, (11:59 PM PDT) on any of these social media outlets. All Entries posted after such time will not be considered. Please keep it clean (no naked super heroes) and be sure to read and agree to the terms and conditions below.
After Tuesday, March 25, 2014, Paul will review all Entries with his keen illustrator’s eye and choose three lucky people who will each receive a custom comic book illustration of himself/herself. That’s right: an illustration of you, with your superpower, being heroic.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to be in a super hero costume in the photo—or have that super hero physique. Just make sure your face is clearly visible.
Just one entry per person, please. Winners will be notified via messaging on the social outlet used, so please make sure we can contact you.
So, check out the terms and conditions below, and post your image on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Google+. Whatever social network you use, make sure that your privacy settings allow us to see your photo.
“Be a Superhero” Contest Rules
Win a Custom Illustration of your Superhero self from Comic Book Artist Paul Rivoche
- ELIGIBILITY: The “Be a Superhero” Contest (“Contest”) is open to adults who are the age of 18 years (or of the age of majority in jurisdictions where the age of majority is over 18 years and where such Contests are legal and do not require registration) as of the Start Date of the Contest and who have an active Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Google+ account throughout the Contest Period (“Contestants”). The Contest is sponsored by Blurb, Inc., 580 California Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, CA 94104 (“Sponsor”). Employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, the legal, promotion and advertising agencies of any aforementioned entity, and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Contest Submission Period begins on March 11, 2014, at 12:01 PM Pacific Time (“PT”), and ends on March 18 at 11:59 PM PT (the “Contest Submission Period”). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST SUBMISSION PERIOD. By participating, Contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest.
- HOW TO ENTER: Online Submissions only. Only one Submission per Contestant. You must have a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google+ account to enter and be following Blurb on the social media outlet used to enter the Contest.
First, you must create your Submission.
Take a Photo/Describe Your Superpower: Create your own unique Photo of yourself, making sure your face is clearly visible, along with a description of your super power using the hashtag #comicblurb (“Submission”) according to the Submission Guidelines section contained in these rules (“Submission Guidelines”).
Next, enter your Submission into the Contest through one of four (4) methods:
- To enter via Facebook: Visit www.facebook.com and login to your Facebook account. Upload a photo to your page or the wall of facebook.com/blurbbooks and use the hashtag #comicblurb
- To enter via Instagram: Visit instagram.com and login to your Instagram account. Then from your own Instagram account post your Submission and include the Contest hashtag #comicblurb.
- To enter via Twitter: Visit www.twitter.com and login to your Twitter account. Then, from your own Twitter account tweet your Submission and include the Contest hashtag #comicblurb.
- To enter via Google+: Visit www.plus.google.com and login to your Google+ account. Then post a publicly viewable photo and include the hashtag #comicblurb.
For all four methods of entry, your Submission must meet the following technical guidelines in addition to the Submission Guidelines set forth below:
- Submission must be publicly viewable on the social network used
- Submission must be at least 600 x 600 pixels
All contact information provided must be current, accurate, and valid. Submissions must be received no later than March 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time according to Sponsor’s time. No other methods of delivery will be accepted. All entries received by the end of the Submission Period that are complete and otherwise qualified will be eligible to win (“Qualified Submissions”). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. All Submissions become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, void, corrupted, garbled, illegible, or unintelligible submissions and those Submissions are void and will not be accepted; nor is Sponsor responsible for any problems, bugs, or malfunctions Contestants may encounter when seeking to enter their Submissions.
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below):
§ Please, do not use your Submission to launch personal attacks on anyone or any discernable product.
§ No Submission may depict harmful or illegal activity or substance, or offensive subject matter as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
§ No broadcast or Submission shall portray Blurb, Inc. in a negative light.
- Submissions must be appropriate for a broad audience since the winning Submission may be broadcast on the internet.
- Submissions must be original works of authorship, created by the person who submits the entry. Contestants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Submission from any source, nor may the photo include third-party copyrighted material or artwork, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. Any images used in the photo Submission must be an original work of authorship under U.S. Copyright Law.
- You may not be, nor may you use in your Submission parties who: 1) are represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair our ability to show the Submission in any media form; 2) have an acting or modeling contract that would make their appearance in the Submission a violation of any third party rights; 3) are under a merchandising agreement; or 4) are under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this promotion, or from allowing us to use the Submission online and in television media.
- Contestant must hold all rights to the entire Submission. Contestant must secure–and finalists will be required to submit–a written release from any actors and/or any other participant featured in the photo to use their name and likeness under the terms and conditions of these Official Rules.
- Any actors or images contained in any Submission must be properly licensed, and evidence of such may be requested by Sponsor at any time during or after the Contest Submission Period. Failure to produce this evidence shall result in disqualification.
- Contestant agrees to indemnify Sponsor against any and all claims from any third party for any use by Sponsor of the Submission.
- Although Sponsor is not reviewing Submissions for copyright violations, if, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, it is believed your Submission constitutes or may constitute copyright infringement, the Submission will be disqualified.
- Contestants must not enter a Submission that would prohibit Sponsor from using, royalty-free, the Submission worldwide in all media in perpetuity.
§ Submissions should not feature any trademarks (including logos).
§ No Submission may depict any nudity, animal cruelty, harmful or illegal activity or substances, or offensive, obscene subject matter as determined in our sole discretion.
§ All Submissions must be truthful and must be original works of authorship, created by the person who submits the entry.
§ Sponsor reserves the right to exclude any photo that it believes, in its sole discretion, doesn’t meet this criteria and to delete any such photographs from any and all locations(s) under Sponsor’s control.
JUDGING: Judging will be completed in one (1) round. All entries will be prescreened to ensure the entries have correctly met the Submission Guidelines and meet with Sponsor’s general standards and practices prior to any judging.
On or about March 26 Paul Rivoche will select three (3) Grand Prize winners according to the following criteria:
- Relevance to Theme (40 points)
- Creativity (30 points)
- Photo Quality (30 points)
Three (3) top-scoring Contestants will be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner (“Selected Contestant”). In case of a tie, the tying submissions will be re-scored with Relevance to Theme receiving double value.
At any time before, during or after the Contest Period, Sponsor may, in its discretion, choose to post or distribute one or more Submissions, the creator’s name and profile information online (including Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, YouTube channels, and third-party websites) for promotional and entertainment purposes only. Posting of this/these Submission(s) will not mean that said Submissions are eligible to win or are a Selected Contestant. Contestants understand that users of these sites may share, comment on (including negatively), and re-post their Submissions. Any requests by Contestants to have a Submission removed from consideration will be accommodated to the extent practically possible. Sponsor is not responsible for third party re-posting of Submissions.
Selected Contestant will be notified by direct message on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or contacted through Instagram, via email or text message on or about March 20, 2014 and will be required to respond (as directed) to the notification within seventy-two (72) hours of attempted notification. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the Prizes; and, in such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. Finalists also may be sent an eligibility / liability / publicity release (“Release”). Unless restricted by law, each Selected Contestant will be required to complete and return the Release within seventy-two (72) hours of the date Release is sent.
- LICENSE: As a condition of entry, Contestants hereby provides a One Hundred Eighty (180) day exclusive irrevocable worldwide license to Sponsor after which time, Sponsor shall retain a perpetual non-exclusive license to use the submitted photo in any and all media throughout the world, in perpetuity, for any purpose whatsoever, without any additional compensation, the term of which shall be the entire life of the copyright. Should any Contestant be unwilling or otherwise unable to enter into this license, or provide permissions and or releases, or otherwise cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason, Contestant with the next highest score will be chosen from the remaining entries until one who is able to meet all requirements can be selected. All potential prize winners must provide Sponsor with all signatures on required paperwork and return all documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules in order to be eligible to receive the prize. Contestants may not sell, assign or transfer any of their rights in their Submissions under these Official Rules.
CONTESTANTS WILL NOT BE SPECIFICALLY PAID FOR THEIR SUBMISSIONS or for granting Sponsor any of these rights.
While Sponsor will seek to post photo Submissions in the form as provided at the time of entry, all Contestants agree that due to technical limitations, photos may be altered from their original form and that Sponsor reserves the right to modify the Submission in its sole discretion, including adding its logo or other trademarks. Sponsor may post photos in any order or sequence, with or without commentary, and may select the photo to serve as a thumbnail in its sole discretion.
Three (3) Grand Prizes: If eligible under these Official Rules, three (3) Grand Prize Selected Contestants will each receive a custom comic book illustration of themselves depicting their superpower, being heroic. Approximate retail value (“ARV”): $100
Total approximate retail value of all prizes is: US $300.
For all prizes, all federal, state and local taxes and other expenses in connection with the prize are the sole responsibility of the Selected Contestant. Contestants may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded prize. Selected Contestant is solely responsible for any other unspecified expenses related to prize. All activities related to the prize, are at the Selected Contestant’s own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern activities. Selected Contestant is not entitled to any surplus between actual retail value of prize and stated ARV and any difference between stated ARV and actual value of the prize will not be awarded. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize, provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. In the event of noncompliance with the foregoing requirements or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate Selected Contestant will be selected. Prizes will be delivered by U.S. Mail or carrier (i.e., FEDEX, UPS), within Sponsor’s sole discretion, to the address provided by the Contestant. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, or undelivered Prizes.
- CONDITIONS: Contest is subject to these Official Rules. By participating, Contestants agree: (i) to be bound by these complete Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which shall be final and binding; and (ii) to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By accepting a prize, Selected Contestant agrees to release Sponsor from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities. Sponsor shall not be liable for: (i) telephone system, telephone, or computer hardware, software, or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (ii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iii) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of a prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (iv) any printing, typographical, administrative, or technological errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend the Contest, in its sole discretion, should it receive fewer than 40 entries, or receive no entries that have a judged score above 60 points, or due to circumstances beyond its control, including natural disasters. Submissions will not be returned and may be destroyed, but are still subject to the license contained herein by Sponsor. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices intending to annoy, abuse, threaten, undermine, or harass any other players or Sponsor representatives. The internal laws of the State of California will govern disputes regarding these Official Rules and/or this Contest.
Sponsor is not responsible and shall not be held liable, and your entry may be disqualified and may not be considered for any Prize, should your Submission be removed from any third-party photo hosting site for any reason (including without limitation DMCA take-down).
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention, or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempts to access the site or enter the Contest via a bot script, device, or brute-force attack will result in disqualification, including that IP address becoming ineligible for the entire Contest. Caution: any attempt to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the Contest. Should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorneys’ fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
- PUBLICITY: Sponsor reserves the right to use the Submissions for publicity purposes prior to, during, or after the Contest end date, in any media, and to use the name, likeness, hometown name, of any Contestant, including their photo throughout the world, in perpetuity, without any compensation or prior review unless specifically prohibited by law.
- WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL: Except as prohibited by applicable law and as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Contestant hereby irrevocably and perpetually waives any right s/he may have to a trial by jury in respect of any litigation directly or indirectly arising out of, under or in connection with this contest, any document or agreement entered into in connection herewith, any prize available in connection herewith, and any of the transactions contemplated hereby or thereby.
11. OFFICIAL RULES and WINNERS LIST: Grand Prize winners will be posted on the Blurb Blog, on or about March 20, 2014. Additionally, the winners list can be obtained through the mail by sending the request and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Blurb, Inc., Superhero Photograph Contest – Winners List, 580 California Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, CA 94104.
© 2014 Blurb, Inc. All rights reserved.