From family cook-offs to school class projects to group vacations, people love doing stuff together. After the fun is over, what do you do with all of the great photos and memories you collect from those events?
Of course you make a book about it!
But when the content for the book is coming from more than one person and more than one computer, things can get a little complicated.
Don’t let complication keep you from getting it done – with a little patience, you can complete a book collaboratively. Follow the instructions in this post to learn more about tag-teaming your BookSmart project from one computer to another.
The downloadable BookSmart application is stored on your computer (not on the Internet), so if you’re working on a book at a computer at home, it won’t show up on your work computer. In order to view a book project on more than one computer, use the Export and Import functions under the File menu in BookSmart.
What you need:
- The latest version of BookSmart downloaded on each computer
- USB Flash Drive (or a CD or DVD) or a file transfer site, like Dropbox
What you do:
- Make sure you have the most recent version of BookSmart
- With the book open in BookSmart, select “Export” and then “Export Book Project” from the File menu
- Save the book on your desktop. It should end in .bookexport. It’s a big file; you won’t be able to simply email it.
- Option 1
A. Drag and drop the book onto your USB flash drive
B. Take the flash drive to the second computer or send it to the person with whom you’re collaborating
Use Dropbox or another file transfer site to send the .bookexport file
- Download BookSmart on to the second computer – the version should match the one on the first computer
- Make sure you have the .bookexport file, either from your flash drive or from the file transfer site on this computer
- Open BookSmart and select “Import a book” under “More options” on the initial start_up menu
If you already have BookSmart open, choose “Import” and “Import a book” project from the File menu
- Select the book from your desktop or wherever you have placed it on this computer, and click “Import”
- To move the book back to the first computer again, follow steps 2 through 8 and repeat as necessary until the book is complete
Look out for:
- Follow the steps to “Export” and then “Import” each time you want to move the book to a new computer. Any updates you make on one computer will not appear on another computer if you do not export the newly updated file and then import it as described above.
- If you have used any fonts that were purchased or downloaded, chances are those fonts will not also be on the second computer, which will make the text appear differently. Choose a font that you know is on both machines.