Who couldn’t use another pair of eyes when it comes to proofing your book project? Unfortunately, unless you have an in-house Maxwell Perkins (look it up – he was editor to Hemingway and others), you might have to send your book out for review.
Last week, we covered sharing your BookSmart project to collaborate on it with others. If you don’t need anyone else to add content to your BookSmart book, but you could use a second opinion before you place an order, here’s how to do it.
What you need:
- BookSmart on your computer only
- An Internet connection on both computers
What to do:
- Whenever you are ready to share the book, fire up BookSmart (if you’re not already in the application), click on “Preview” and then click “Order Book.”
- Click “Continue” on the Final Checklist.
- Log-in to your Blurb account and click “Sign In” to upload the book.
- Take a look at the Preview settings for the newly uploaded book in your account on Blurb.com.
- Change the Preview to show all of the pages, or you can customize it to only show the pages that you want to share.
- Go to the Share tab. Keep your book set to Private, but use the “Send an invitation” button to email a link to the book’s preview to a friend.
- You have 15 days to get feedback from your friend.
- Go back into BookSmart and make edits.
- Upload the newly edited version of your book.
Look out for:
- Any book that you upload, but do not order, will be saved in your account on Blurb.com for 15 days and then deleted. The book won’t be deleted from BookSmart, though, so you can always go back to it and upload again from there.
- Be careful with multiple versions in your account. If you upload more than one book with the same cover, it’s easy to accidentally order an old one. Although books that you upload to your account on Blurb.com will be deleted after 15 days, it may be a good idea to just manually delete any version that you know you’re definitely not going to order, once your reviewer has finished with it.
And as always, if have questions or need help, get in touch!